Friday, September 2, 2016

My Simple Daybook ~ September 2, 2016


Our lives pass swiftly by!
Remembering and recording the everyday
 moments is a great gift to leave behind.
The big things are important, but it is in the details
that our story is born.
The telling of the ordinary moments
are the Threads from 
which the bigger stories emerge.
These things are important links to the 
outcome of what our posterity will inherit from us.
These Daybook posts are my attempt at it.
Just for today~September 2, 2016

Outside My Window...It is 8:00 am and I have been up since before 5:00.  It is chilly and I have a day of discretionary time with a lot of possibilities.  I got up then because Jim is working today at the Temple and he leaves pretty early on those days.  it is a pretty day, somewhere between the hot summer and crispy autumn.  The sun is shining and the breeze is cool and there are crunching leaves outside in the yard.  I love the seasons and fall is my favorite.
I Am Thankful For...Oh so many, many things.  The number one thing is that Hazel had a very successful 12.5 hour surgery at Primary Children's Hospital in Utah two weeks ago and she is doing so well.  Because of her Spina Bifada she has lots of problems and surgeries in her past and future.  But this one was big.  And she had nine procedures with 0 complications.  I attribute that to two things.  Our Heavenly Father that answers all prayers according to his purpose and plan for us.  And she has many purposes and prayers!  

The other was she had a brilliant surgeon who did a magnificent job.  Thank you Dr. Cartwright!  The Lord blesses all of us through other people all the time.  And Hazie has lots of things to do in her lifetime.  One of the most important is that she is a teacher.  A teacher of life, love and positivity.  It is very hard to complain about your plight in life when you know her.  She's an illumination.  Always so full of light as you can see in this little photo.
There were lots of photos taken of this little angel~my favorite.

Spiritual Thoughts...The Lord has put us on this earth for a reason.  One of the most important of those is to to help, edify and lift those that are touched by our lives.  Almost always this requires work and sacrifice on our part.  It is not meant to be easy.  It is meant to help us to grow less selfish and more loving and to become more like the Savior.  We have to do this service with a loving attitude and out of love, not duty.  Service loses something if we do it begrudgingly. If we miss this in the actions of helping, we deprive ourselves of the benefits as well as the recipient.  I am surrounded by great people that serve all the time. They are a great inspiration to me.  For some serving is the most natural thing ever.  For others it isn't.  Channeling someone who does it well is a great way to learn to be better at it.  We are work in progress.  So progression not perfection is a good goal.

From The Learning Room...I am learning how to lose weight and maintain my loss.  I have learned a lot about progression vs perfection.  I've lost nearly 80 pounds in less than a year by doing a few things differently.  Focusing on optimal health not just weight loss.  Trying hard everyday to get it right.  Not perfect but better than I have in decades because now I know I can do this.  I learned that by being consistent over time.  Not just a few weeks and then giving up.  I have given up a lot of things for something I want more.  I try to be very mindful of everything I put in my mouth.  I drink a lot of water.  I weigh every day.  If I'm down a little I am happy.  If I am up a little I am motivated.  I factor in other things things and use the scale as a guiding tool only.  I have detached from the emotion of the numbers as much as possible.  I concentrate on how I feel which is 100% better. I pray.  I am grateful.  I am happy.

I Am Praying For...the health and well-being and success of our family and dear friends. I try to pray for specific things for the people I love. That seems to help me stay focused on their individual needs and concerns.  I am praying for the others of the world in a more global way.  For peace, understanding, health, etc.  I am praying for our country.  Sheesh does it ever need it.  Nine weeks until the election.  Heaven help us please.
Quoting Pinterest...

Listening to...Kenny Rogers.  Love his music on certain days.  This is one of those days....Love Lifted Me!  Ahhh!

Watching...Poldark, Season 1 to be get ready for September 25 when Season 2 will premiere on PBS.  One of the best TV series ever.  So uplifting and enjoyable. It has been a long year waiting for it.  It is so thoughtfully and beautifully done.

Thinking About...The fantastic family reunion we had with our kids and grandkids and Jim's mom in July.  It doesn't get much better than that.  I could write a book about it but when?  I hope to get to the heart of it soon on this blog.

The family minus Robert who came the day after due to work.

In the kitchen...things are looking pretty good.  I have stocked the refrigerator and pantry as Jim just got home last night from spending two weeks helping Jen and Lowell post surgery with Hazel.  He was the chief cook and bottle washer and chauffeur of the other kids so they could attend to Hazie and Lowell could go to work.  One thing I made while he was gone with the fresh veggies from our garden.  Yes, it took me all week to eat it.  



I'm Happy About...Hazel doing so well, Julia turning 16, Laura getting a new job she loves, Piper and Spencer starting their senior year in high school. Zach starting middle school.  Ross starting high school.  Chris submitting his professorship packet last night for review at the University which was a big project, to the tune of 230 written pages.  I am happy that I am near to completing a genealogy project on our Italian lines that has brought me so much joy.  I am very excited that Steve has more work for me to do in the future.  I am happy Jim is home and already doing what he loves at the temple.   I am happy my friend Maureen has had a successful hip replacement this week.  I loved having dinner with my brother and Emily this past week.  We discussed his DNA results and I learned a lot about our genes.

Favorite things...my sweet friends that made these last couple of weeks really fun while Jim was away.  I saw three movies in the theatre with them!  The outpouring of love and prayers for Hazel that buoyed us all up.  My very best friends that lift me up daily with their texts and letters and all the fun that is. The Gospel of Jesus Christ that makes everything better.  Being grateful for all our blessings and intentionally focusing on that.  Leaning new things.

Pet Peeves...things and people that want to bring others down.  People that complain and don't seek solutions.  The ranters on FB.  Social media should be used to lift.  Discouragement when we have every reason to be happy.

Loves and Passions...All of the good things above.

Around the Cottage...constantly working to keep things maintained and make improvements as we can.  Trying to make it a little piece of heaven on earth.  It is hard work.  I bought a new blanket this week for our bed.  It did improved our sleep. Jim replaced the steps to our deck and front door a couple of weeks ago.  I am working on getting some clothes that fit me for the fall and winter.  A nice chore.

Photos I'm sharing...have been shared above this week except for this one:



Happy 16th Birthday Julia!
You are a Jewel and a Gem,
Precious and Well Loved.



Well that's a wrap for this time!

2 comments:

  1. OUTSIDE...Thankfully the rains have come to cool things off! We were blessed to not have any of Hurricane Hermine's winds reach us. We just had the much needed rain. The mornings start out bright and by afternoon it begins to cloud up for the coming rains.
    THANKFUL...Praise our Awesome, Almighty, Creator, Savior, Holy Father GOD! He Loves His chosen ones and especially when we lift Him up in our prayers! Give Hazel a hug for me! I'll keep her in my prayers!
    SPIRITUAL...I always pray for the Holy Spirit to lead, guide, and direct my every thought, word, and deed for His glory, honor, and praise and not my own.
    LEARNING...I needed to lose weight for years and always had difficulty no matter what diet and exercise program I was using! Finally, I retired from teaching and it was amazing how I started losing weight without trying! I guess the worries/concerns of the politics getting into everything and no support with families who had children with problems, kept the stress level from allowing any ability to lose! Then my two falls occurred! I am now 90 pounds lighter and holding. I think, "Okay, LORD, did I need the falls to accomplish this, ha!" GOD is so good all the time! He has certainly blessed me!
    PRAYING..For salvation for those the LORD has led me to pray for as well as healing for those He leads me to pray for and His continued blessings and provisions for my family, friends, church and my needs. In my daily prayer journal I list them by name!
    LISTENING TO..."Precepts for Life" with Kay Arthur on Good Life 45 - The Coming of the LORD.
    Watching...I have been watching all the "old westerns" from the '50-60's! I was only 4 to 9 years old and don't remember any of them. Besides, we lived in the Florida Keys and didn't get very good reception until cable came in the 1970's! It's amazing to me how many of them presented a Christian background with the "good guys!"
    THINKING ABOUT...our ladies Bible Study starts up again tomorrow! I can hardly wait for our joyful study together of our LORD!
    KITCHEN...I have been enjoying my ham, cheese and egg melts here lately! I sometimes have spinach, turnip or collard greens in the mix! You probably say "yuck!" But, it is what I have had the taste for, ha!
    HAPPY...for Max, the Macaw I used to have. I had to give him up for I could no longer handle him with my balance not being good since the fracture surgeries. He now has an owner (a carpenter) who built him an outside flight cage that he can get exercise in each day. I surely miss him!
    FAVORITE THINGS...My LORD GOD, Christian family, Christian friends, Bible study, my pets the LORD has given to me.
    PET PEEVES...Bullying - The politicians make a big stand against it concerning children, yet they practice it themselves on opposing parties!
    LOVE...greatest is what the LORD has waiting for us who belong to Him! "Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, nor has it entered the heart what GOD has planned for those who love Him" 1 Corinthians 2:9
    HOUSE...still need to get some things done - flooring in den is the main thing right now!
    Thank you Bonnie for the thoughts you have brought me to think about! Love ya, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I happened upon your blog through, Marie's blog, And then we all had Tea. I love it when I can find other like-minded women in blog world. I can see that we have a lot in common . . . archiving our thoughts through a blog, grandchildren, family and the Gospel. I had a grandchild at Primary's 14 years ago. She spent 6 months there. What a blessing they are to sick children and to parents seeking for a miracle. I pray that, Hazel thrives and does well. You have a beautiful family. I will be visiting often!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are manna to the soul of a writer. Thank you in advance for any you may be inspired to leave.