Tuesday, January 2, 2018

My Simple Daybook-January 2, 2018


Our lives pass swiftly by!
Remembering and recording the everyday
 moments is a great gift to leave behind.
The big things are important, but it is in the details
that our story is born.
The telling of the ordinary moments
are the Threads from 
which the bigger stories emerge.
These things are important links to the 
outcome of what our posterity will inherit from us.
These Daybook posts are my attempt at it.
Just for today~Tuesday, January 2, 2018 


Outside my window...it is an overcast day so far with a prediction of rain tomorrow.  It is time; we need water again here in California!  The world, the weather, the times all indicate we need changes; more good, improvement as a people, a nation, a world.  Those changes come through individuals.  You and me.  Our family, our community, our world is only as good as the people that comprise them.  Individuals one by one make the difference.  

I am willing to bet that more people are thinking about these things today, than any other day of the year.  January 1 isn't quite time because we still have New Year's Day to celebrate, left-overs, a bit more time off work, those few Christmas cookies and other treats still tempting us in the cupboard, etc. But today, TODAY is the start point. 


 I'd love to know how much sugar consumption dips on Jan 2 every year.  I bet it is monumental.  For me personally today is my half birthday.  Exactly six months until I turn one year older.  Yesterday I was discussing new goals with our daughter Laura.  We were bemoaning the fact that some goals keep cropping up every year.  I ask myself how can I still be trying to overcome certain weaknesses after all these decades?  Another question is how is it that I don't celebrate the things I have accomplished and overcome as much as I do dwell on my unfinished tasks, my imperfections and what I lack?  I once read that the greatest human desires are to be lovable and capable.  There might be some answers to those questions above in that thought.

Spiritual thoughts...How is it that we can make real changes in our heart, character and our very lives?  I am learning that we need to keep moving forward with faith in Christ and our own desire to be changed.  We need to seek goodness, righteousness, and a clean heart and hands.  The gift of the atonement of Christ for all people is to know that change is possible. Through our own efforts and particularly, repentance and the grace Jesus offers us.  Because he loved us enough to die for us we do have the opportunity to change. We will not be made perfect in this life, but we move towards that, as our hearts change and embrace our desire to be made better through his love and care for us.  Jesus is our example and we need to follow him. This is how we will finally be made whole as we walk closer and more intentionally after him. As we place our faith in him to lead and guide us we will ultimately be able to return to our Father in heaven and Jesus Christ one day. 

Should we not know from this that we are, indeed, lovable and capable of succeeding through his mercy towards us, in our imperfections? The plan of salvation is for us to change incrementally by our daily walk with Christ.   



From the learning room...All of our desires to set goals and make improvements in our lives are spiritual in nature.   Even the very temporal goals like organization, weight loss, educational goals, time management, etc.  That spiritual desire inside to be better, do more, think of serving others more, be healthier all have multiple layers of spiritual desires to a better you, a better me.  When discouragement comes on any of these levels we can turn to God, pray and be fortified to begin again.  Day after day, year after year we can begin again.  I think of the hymn, I Need Thee Every Hour.  Even a modern day Prophet of the Lord, Spencer W. Kimball, relied heavily upon this, his favorite of all hymns.  Our need and God's gifts make all things possible through Jesus Christ!


I Am Praying For.
..a stronger faith, less fear, more desire to change and become more like Christ in my daily living.  To be kinder, more loving, more forgiving, more intuned to the Holy Spirit is something I strive for this coming year.  I want to exercise more tolerance and more understanding. 


I am praying for the strength to make real and significant changes in the things that are most difficult for me.  Today I am taking the first step toward improving my health.  I have been struggling with increasingly more excessive pain in my knees and mobility issues for a long time.  I can no longer muscle through it or put this off.  I need to simply move this to the top of my list of priorities. I am heading over in an hour to get my new x-rays done.  No more excuses, no more reasons why something else should come first, no more fear of the recovery.  It is likely I will need more than one or two surgeries this year.  I am going forward in the faith that will precede the miracles. Other things will have to be put on hold in the precess.  I feel confident that is the best decision.

Quoting Pinterest...



Most Beautiful Photo on Pinterest Today...

At the end of the day
I will have accomplished 
all of my day's goals by staying
 on the path I have set for myself today!  

                                       

Watching...my favorite people and how they accomplish so much and remain steadfast in Christ in all they do.  They are all around me and I am an observer.


Thinking About...how to be more tenacious, more flexible, more introspective and more outer-directed to the needs of others.  Better health, and independence in the mobility department is something I look forward to very much.  I need to get ready pretty soon to get over and get those x-rays done.  Wish me luck!

In the Kitchen...moving back into my food plan 100% today.  Throwing away things that we don't need tempting us in the pantry and refrigerator anymore.  Feeling confident this is all going to help in all ways.


Loves and Passions...Christmas..it was especially wonderful this year.  It was so great to reconnect with everyone that we love and care for so much.  It was good to touch base with so many on Facebook, receiving letters and cards from you really ambitious people and writing letters myself. Thinking of the reason for the season, both spiritual and cultural seemed to heighten my enjoyment of it all.

We were not with our children and grandchildren physically but they are always with us in our hearts and bring us such joy.  We enjoyed photos of their fun activities. 

The most fun of all was having Stephen and Andy (our Utah cousins) come for a nice visit after Christmas.  They brought us such happiness at the perfect time.  All the hustle and bustle of the season was winding down and we could just relax and enjoy them.
  
We also thoroughly enjoyed our family time with Mom, our Mattson cousins, and with  Barbara, Lee and Dave, Maureen, Michelle and other friends.  We kept a constant prayer in our hearts for our friend, Carol, who has been so ill for months and others who are also struggling. She is getting better and I am so thankful and happy for that.  Gratitude seemed to feel very present with me thorough the fall and winter holidays and it was all good.  I am clinging to that as we start this new year.

Photo I'm Sharing...




Andy, Jim, Gloria, Bonnie, Richard,
 Anne, Stephan & Mark

 December 27, 2017 was a lovely day of fellowship with our Italian relatives from Pennsylvania whom we had never met.  Thanks to our cousin, Stephen, who did a lot of work to connect us all, we have this wonderful day to remember forever.  We had an amazing lunch at Alioto's in San Francisco and a tour of some of the historical family sites that bring us together as family.  And we met four new Ferrera cousins.  We love all these cousins...They are such wonderful additions to our family.  Family history is simply the best.  As Jim would say, "It doesn't get any better than this!" 
.

2 comments:

  1. Yes it does go by fast! But just think of eternity when a thousand years is as a day!
    OUTSIDE...Too cold and dreary for it to be Florida weather!
    SPIRITUAL THOUGHTS...It's because as Christians, we grow more to be like Christ and His example He gave to us!
    LEARNING ROOM...I love His promise to us to supply all our needs from the blessings of His riches! The stronger we grow in Christ the more we will see His Spiritual blessings in our own lives!
    PRAYING...Each day I pray to the LORD to lead, guide, and direct all I think, do and say to be to His glory, honor, and praise.
    WATCHING...I'm so glad our Almighty GOD watches over us too! He continually leads us on the path He has for us in His strength, power, and Love.
    THINKING ABOUT...what the LORD has in store for me this year!
    KITCHEN...Microwave cooking for me of my vegetables, cereals, pot pies, shredded cheese on crackers...
    LOVE/PASSIONS...adding more to my daily Bible study and prayer lists.
    A prayer request from me is my right knee. This is the first time I have every had problems with it! Once I'm standing and it pops, I'm okay! It's never a dull moment as we get older! Love you, Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susie you are just the best. I always love how you answer the same questions as I do. I'm putting you in my heart and on my prayer list right now! Believe me when I say I have suffered with my knees (the right is the worst) for a very long time. I will pray for your relief. P.S it usually doesn't get better on its own. Love you, Miss Susie, and that cute sister-in-law of yours. Give each other a big hug from me! Bon

      Delete

Comments are manna to the soul of a writer. Thank you in advance for any you may be inspired to leave.