Our lives pass swiftly by!
We must find our own quiet place to discover who we are.
We must find our own quiet place to discover who we are.
Remembering and recording everyday
moments is a great gift to leave behind.
The big things are important, but it is in the details
that our story is born.
The telling of the ordinary moments
are the threads from
which the bigger stories emerge.
These things are important links to the
the outcome of what our posterity will inherit from us.
These Daybook posts are my attempt at it.
Just for today~Saturday, September 28, 2019
Outside My Window: Today is gorgeous. Nearly 2:00 pm and I don't know where the morning has gone. Earlier this morning there were some gusty winds and the leaves were coming down like a snow flurry. It was so delightful and reminded me once again of why Autumn is my favorite time each year. Maybe we should not be in such a rush to rake or sweep the falling leaves away. They look beautiful outside the window. it was over 100 degrees last week but this week a cool 72. The breeze is a little chilly for me.
Spiritual Thoughts: I am feeling very close to the Lord these days. By his divine design, adversity and trying times are created to do just that. It works for me and most of us I would imagine! In the past year, I have had five surgeries. Two of them were major; full knee replacements. The last one was on June 19th and now I can walk without any pain for the first time in over two decades!
I started noticing my cataracts were really affecting my vision back in January. By the time it was all said and done, it was from then until two weeks ago before I could see well again. Cataract surgery is minor, but going without good vision for 9 months is major.
Last week I had a basal cell surgery on my nose. Things are great now and they got all the cancerous cells on the first layer of the Mohs surgery. It was a breeze of a procedure, but it is always the outcome you worry about when it comes to any cancer cells. I have learned the Savior was right by my side every step of the way with my health issues this year. The only thing to fear is fear itself as Churchill said. When faith is strong we are comforted. When faith is weak we can be terrified. I chose to say no to that lack of faith and relied on his healing presence and influence. With each one of the five surgeries, I willed myself to get better at it. And it saved me a tremendous amount of grief and distress. It was all worth it for that alone! I haven't posted on my personal blog for over a year. I have missed it a great deal. I'm trying to get better with that.
Praying for: The world in general, our country more specifically, our family and friends very specifically. I have found that being specific in our prayers is pretty important. Being grateful for all of our blessings and acknowledging who they come from is first. Then asking for specific things according to God's will for those we love and for ourselves.
What Can I Do To Make A Difference For People...I can be a good listener, I can pay attention to what people need, I can give freely to their specific needs, and I can recognize that everyone needs lifting, recognition, and support!
Quotes I Love..."I can shake off everything if I write; my sorrows disappear and my courage is reborn." Anne Frank
And for my family history friends: "We work with names and places. Always the names but rarely faces. Sometimes it is easy to forget the face, the heart, the life, and worth of the spirit of just one soul in the eyes of God" Author Unknown
Prettiest Photo on Pinterest Today...
Thinking About...How important health is to each of us. When you feel good you do better in all aspects of your life. We all know this instinctively and we all want it. I wish we knew more about genetics and behaviors that actually do cause various illnesses but the reality is there are so many factors we just don't understand. I think the Savior wants us to just love and help others, being gentle and kind and non-judgmental. Showing compassion and support when people are suffering is the most kind and loving thing to do. Some people live long and some don't. Sometimes their unhealthy behaviors cause these things and sometimes they don't. Life can be uncertain but love and compassion always make it better.
I Am So Pleased About...how Jim has handled and dealt with the life and the death of his mother. He has been an exemplary son in every possible way. He has cared for her regularly for the past 30 years and in times of extreme need from January 5, 2019, until her death on May 26, 2019, he has always been there for her every need. I saw that this was a great comfort to her.
She fell and broke her back in January and from then on it was a downhill road for her. With the exception, that for about 3 weeks in April when she had recovered quite well from the break and was able to live independently again. She was 92 and a half when she had a massive stroke in her home. Jim found her the next morning and she was still breathing. She passed away the same night in the hospital with both of us at her bedside, just before midnight. She got everything she wanted in terms of living in her own home unitl the end and not lingering on and on.
She was an incredibly strong and determined woman. She bought plants for her garden the day before she died. Jim, her only surviving child, has done so much. He has been exhausted and emotionally unraveled through so much of the last ten months. But we readied her house for sale with the help of family and friends and, just this week we have some happy new owners living in their new house! Now we have just the settling of the estate to be done and then we can carry on with our lives once again. Life will never be quite the same without her, but we are happy she had a healthy long life and we will miss her.
She was an incredibly strong and determined woman. She bought plants for her garden the day before she died. Jim, her only surviving child, has done so much. He has been exhausted and emotionally unraveled through so much of the last ten months. But we readied her house for sale with the help of family and friends and, just this week we have some happy new owners living in their new house! Now we have just the settling of the estate to be done and then we can carry on with our lives once again. Life will never be quite the same without her, but we are happy she had a healthy long life and we will miss her.
Feeling Excited About...so many things all of a sudden. The prospects of healing in many ways in the next few months, doing some traveling, getting some household and yard projects started, and completed. Doing a little less volunteering and trimming our schedules down to something more relaxing and appropriate for our own well-being. However, we will always be serving someplace as well. This is a great time in life to give back while we still can.
I Must Be Getting Old Because...every time I go grocery shopping someone askes me if I need a carryout! My reply is, " No, but if you'd like to come home with me and help me put it all away, that would be sweet!"
My Near Future Holds...hanging out at home until I look presentable to go out. No doctor appointments, no major fall decorating, getting back to more work at The Family History Guide (which I dearly love) and best of all, destressing and doing more personal writing, and spending more time with my husband as we heal from all the drama and trauma of a very crazy year.
Movies We Have Seen Lately...In a theater only one, Downton Abbey. We are diehard fans so it was something we both enjoyed equally. After three years it was like a family reunion, just seeing everyone again. Loved it and the day out together. Our first carefree date in a long time. We will be going back and most likely will add it to our movie collection when it comes out fro sale. At home, we watch movies a lot. A favorite lately has been The Longest Ride which we owned, but I don't think we had ever watched. It was recommended to us by our cousins Judy and Jannie. We liked it a lot.
Books I'm Reading..."Insights Of A Prophet's Life" by Sheri Dew. This is about the life of Russell M. Nelson, President of The Church Of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
And "The Next Right Thing" By Emily Freeman. In this book Emily talks about being overwhelmed by so many things and how to overcome the frustration by just doing the next right thing.
Books I'm Reading..."Insights Of A Prophet's Life" by Sheri Dew. This is about the life of Russell M. Nelson, President of The Church Of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
And "The Next Right Thing" By Emily Freeman. In this book Emily talks about being overwhelmed by so many things and how to overcome the frustration by just doing the next right thing.
My Recently Published Article on The Family History Guide Blog...https://www.thefhguide.com/blog/rootstech-2020-is-just-around-the-corner/
Photo Sharing...
Julia working on the Decor
Ross and Hazel working on the food tables.
And Hazie Sweeping with Julia's help
At the end of the day, it was just our immediate family here. We had a wonderful evening together, we danced, we had fun together and we took photos. We enjoyed what little time we had left before everyone had to leave. The kids had all stayed at a hotel. Some left Sunday evening and other left early on Monday.







No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments are manna to the soul of a writer. Thank you in advance for any you may be inspired to leave.