Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Reflections on Mother's Day 2016



I just love the above illustration of one of the things that makes life so much better these days.  In this instance I am using it to depict the various ways technology can help us stay in touch with our families that are far away.  Blogger is one of my favorite ways.  Check out all the various avenues to commune with our loved ones above.  What a blessing to have so many fast, convenient and effective way to shrink the world and keep us together.  It is the next best thing to being together all the time.  

I think that without technology I would have shriveled and died of missing them had it not been available.  I could just weep when I think of the days when kids left home, their families and countries, never to be seen again by their aging parents.  The courage that must have taken on both sides of the ocean is something to marvel over.  Watch the movie Brooklyn if you haven't seen it.  It is an amazing story of one young immigrant girl from Ireland.  It will inspire you.



So both of Jen and Laura put some nice comments on Facebook that lifted me so high.  Being remembered on Mother's Day is the best.  Because being a mother is something that is a part of us all from the minute we become pregnant and forever after that.  To know that they love you and forgive your mistakes and human frailties is redemptive.  Especially when we are keenly aware of things we should have done differently in hindsight. 

The Lord is merciful in that  regard giving  them children of their own and similar feelings of not measuring up from time to time. That helps them realize how hard we tried to get it right in spite of ourselves.  I always want them to know how much we want them to feel loved and appreciated as mothers, especially on Mother's Day.  They are raising up some very exceptional grandkids for us and that takes every ounce of energy and devotion that a mother can muster.

Another miracle of this technology that we have today came by way of the iPhone technology.  Although Chris is traveling in Eastern Europe with his graduate students, he was able to contact me on Sunday morning from Vienna.  I told him that Vienna has been on my bucket list for a long time.  To visit the place where classical music had its origin on earth would be a delight.

So then he told me what he had done the night before.  He and their group went to a small concert (40 people attending) at the home of Mozart!  They gathered in the parlor where Mozart once practiced his music to hear a string quartet play his music.  The first two pictures depict that parlor and the entrance to it.  I was spellbound by his description and the photos he was able to send us instantaneously.  That is miraculous when you think about it.







I have found that when someone close to you does something like this..it is almost like you have gone yourself.  Vicarious experiences are amazing. Chris' life is full of these amazing opportunities and we are so happy for him.  Sometimes when I see that handsome man on the left on this last picture from Vienna I can barely imagine that he is our little son of many years ago.  Life is good.  Really good. 



1976

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are manna to the soul of a writer. Thank you in advance for any you may be inspired to leave.